LIBER (Ligue des Bibliothèques Européennes de Recherche - Association of European Research Libraries) is the main network for research libraries in Europe.
Founded in 1971, the association has grown steadily to include more than 400 national, university and other libraries from over 40 countries. Together we work to represent the interests of European research libraries, their universities and their researchers in several key areas.
As an association, we stand for:
- High-quality services for all users of library and information services
- Intellectual freedom and access to scholarship
- Collaboration with campus, local, national, European and global partners
- Stewardship of collections and institutional resources, in the most appropriate format
- Leadership, innovation and a willingness to embrace opportunities for change
- Inclusivity, equality of opportunity and fulfilment of potential
In order to fulfil these tasks, LIBER will continue to develop its network of national, university and other research libraries in Europe. We will also work towards goal-oriented partnerships with other organisations in Europe and beyond.